Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Which comes first, baby or grandma?

I spent some time grocery shopping with my mother on today. I'm always glad to be in her presence. I enjoy making her smile and keeping her company. Even though we call one another 4 to 5 times a day it always seems as if I've forgotten to mention something and when we're together we talk as if we've not spoken at all at any point through out the day. She really is a delight for me.

Though I know her quite well she sometimes amazes me with her actions. Lately it seems that grocery shopping brings the best out of her. Lat month when we shopped together she became loud and obnoxious with the bagging boy because he chose not to use her Fresh Idea Card....for those of you who aren't familiar with this card, it's a card that can be used in the store for discounts. I didn't say he didn't use a card, he just didn't use her card. She was moving a little too slow so he though he'd help her move a little quicker by swiping a card that he carried from a string around his next. She hadn't noticed him swiping so when she'd looked up from searching her purse she handed him her card. He thanked her but explained nicely that he'd already used his own. I was one lane over and could both see and hear everything. I could already tell this wasn't going to go well. she placed her hands on her hips and tilted her head down in order to look at him closely over the top of her glasses. "Why did you do that", she asked. He tried answering in a polite tone but there was no tone polite enough for a mistake this sever. "  I just wanted to help you and keep you from looking for your card", the boy says. Most people would have thanked him and went on but not dear sweet mother. She frantically started looking around for me and called me by my nickname. I honestly tried to ignore her but to ignore her was like walking in front of a freight train. She called my name over and over as if I were the police and would come to her rescue. "I'm right here ma", I said in a nice calm voice. "What's the matter", as if I didn't know. "WHY THIS BOY JUST JUST SWIPED HIS CARD AND DIDN'T ASK ME IF I HAD MY OWN! HE CANT DO THAT CAN'T DO THAT CAN HE"? After taking a deep breath and trying to figure out if I'm mad, embarrassed, or tickled I say, "uh huh". I don't think she liked my answer because she poked her lips out, grabbed her cart and headed to the doors with an attitude. The clerk whispered to me, "did I do something wrong". "Well yeah, you kinda did. You can't treat most senior citizens like babies even though they may act like one at times", I told him.When I joined her outside she had already fired up a cigarette and was smoking like a chimney. I tried to act as if nothing had happened by looking over my receipt and commenting on the weather. she was short with her responses but forced herself to respond. She knew she had just showed out. She finished her cigarette while I loaded her grocery. When she finished she climbed into the car with a stiff look on her face. All the while home I pretty much carried out a one man conversation. I imaged she must have had a few words that she wanted to share but she was to darn mad to let them out. I smiled on the inside. She was really funny to look at. She did a better job at pouting than her 6yr. old granddaughter. I helped her out with her grocery and bid her fare well but all she had to say to me was,"BYE"!

When I got home and had finished putting my groceries away the phone rang. It was my mother. "What are you doing", she ask? I smiled and told her nothing. She then went on to say,"did you notice how crowded the store was on today"? I smiled and chuckled to myself. I guessed she was tired of pouting.

Note to self: You will someday become your mother. You will not try and top this experience shared on today!

No comments:

Post a Comment